Kids

Kids

Sunday, July 19, 2015

Back to life, back to reality

  • If you just sang that in your head, I know why we're friends! ;-) We've been home officially a week now. Sometimes it seems like we've been home for a day and sometimes forever.

    Elise is adjusting pretty well. She fits in very well with our family. When we watched her videos and saw pics before we left, we worried she would never smile or be happy. We were told she was extremely shy. She is a bit shy but she's also extremely silly. Her laugh is just too adorable! She cracks herself up continuously, especially when taking videos of herself. We've seen some little things but when we correct her, she handles it pretty well. The hardest time is bed time. She hates to go to bed. Hates it. Sometimes she starts in our bed then dad moves her. Sometimes we lie down with her. It's different every night but the hate doesn't change. :-) And when she lies down in bed, she doesn't lie still. She flops. Think about a fish out of water and how they flop. That's what she does. All. The. Time. It's quiet fun! The kids are doing very well with her and enjoying her. It's a pretty typical sibling relationship which is great. She and Peter are getting along very well and he's adjusting to being the big brother pretty well. I wish you could have all been here when she and Peter discussed adoption. It was adorable. And heartbreaking at the same time.

    When you have Gotcha Day, you are allowed to ask question about your kids. You also get a book with information and you have the file, of course. Eric and I decided we should have asked more important questions such as "How many hours do you allow for screen time?", (because we're going to be sure to beat that in the first month! Don't you judge me! Communication is TOUGH!) "Why does she watch cartoons where the dad gets drunk and to get him to stop, the kids give him pepper water?", (Maybe the better question is why are we still allowing it? Don't you judge me again! When she sings the theme song it's so cute! And they do get him to stop drinking. She's learning good lessons!) "What's her high score in Temple Run?" (and don't lie to me and say she's never played. The girls got skills) and "Why in the world do you put so many layers of clothes on her and expect me to do the same?" (Layer upon layer upon layer upon...you get it. Don't you watch American tv? We don't layer! And we live in Texas! We would be shedding layers in the middle of Target and never have time to shop) All of the questions we asked about sleeping, eating, etc. well, maybe we have a different child. Ha!! They got some of it right but some..nope. Same with Peter. I read him his file the other day and he laughed. We were proud that we asked if we were the first white people she had seen question. ;-) All that to say, we are still getting to know this little cutie pie. She will change over time, as Peter did, as she lives her longer and has more choices and becomes her own person. We look forward to seeing who she becomes in Christ! Peter prays for it every day. (Is that not THE cutest?!)

    Jet lag is getting a bit better for us weary travelers. Eric and I agree that it would be great to have a day to sleep and that's it. But real life awaits so that probably won't happen. I will say it's great to not have to think about dinner. I'm not sure I could do that quiet yet. I stare in the cabinets and wonder what to do with all those ingredients. I look on pinterest for ideas then forget to get off. Ha! Again we can't thank you enough for your prayers, encouragement, love and support!!!

    Some things we don't want to forget about our adventure:

    -Flower shops in GZ were translated as Sex Shops. Oh boy. We would laugh so hard at this! It would have the Chinese writing then in English, "Sex Shops." Goodness!

    -We passed a restaurant in Xi'An named the Boob Shop! Oh stars!! The laughter! Our friend Jess posed next to it with her thumbs up. It's funnier because she's nursing her son. Jon immediately piped up that he knew where he was eating lunch. ;-)

    -While at the GZ zoo, I noticed one of the families walking away without their son. I started guiding him to catch up with his family when a Chinese mom started running after me. She started saying "no" and grabbed her son back. Oops. I almost kidnapped a Chinese kid.
  • Laneigh Freeman Lol. I laughed out loud. Thank you for sharing your adoption adventure. I love reading about your family, Aimee!
  • Eric N Aimee Thank you for following us Laneigh!!
  • Debbie Langley Paden This is fun to read. Life is good.
  • Rebekah Holmes Durham Oh Aimee! "Almost kidnapped a Chinese kid!" Ha, ha, ha! I miss you!
  • Eric N Aimee Rebekah, i was mortified!! I always tell people that not all Chinese people look the same and that's racist. *hangs head in shame*. I miss you too! Come back!!
  • Elizabeth Courtney Well? Had she seen white people? I'm so glad to read things are going well!
  • Stacy Melton Huff Oh my
    Goodness! I kept seeing "sex shops". No idea they were flower shops! So glad she's doing well

No comments: