Kids

Kids

Sunday, July 19, 2015

One Month Later.....


  • February 12th marked a special one month anniversary in the Akin house...Elise joined our family on January 12th and it's been a whirlwind ever since!

    So how is Elise doing? I hesitate to even type this because I know it can quickly change but honestly, she's easy. I had my doubts in China but that was grief talking on her part and impatience on my part. She's so full of joy. She's a typical child. We have the normal adoption issues but nothing huge. She fits in perfectly and she's the piece that we were missing and didn't know until she was here. From what we've seen so far, her foster family prepared her very well for a forever family by being her family. There's been grief, deep, gut wrenching grief, but there should be. She left the only family, country, language, and culture she's ever known. I cannot tell you the joy I feel when lean over in bed and whispers, "I love you mommy." My heart melts. She loves church and our homeschool co-op and is starting to make friends. I cannot even describe the cuteness it is when she sees a friend and grabs their hand. As my friend Stacy C said, language, smanguage! Ten year little girls are all alike across the world when given the chance. Elise loves to laugh, is full of love and mischief, and keeps us laughing with her silliness. I love watching her siblings interact with her, especially her and Andrew. They're developing a sweet connection. He's finally getting to be the big brother to a little girl that wants to be carried and told what to do! ;-) I honestly love to see the different relationships between all of our kids. When people ask, "What about your bio kids? Are they ok with you adopting?" I just smile and feel sorry for the person who asks this. Adoption has been the best blessing, the hardest blessing, but the best blessing we've ever experienced.

    Now don't get me wrong, adoption is tough stuff. Monday and Tuesday were some of the hardest, most heartbreaking days I've ever had. No parent should have to hear what I heard those days from my babies. To be asked by your 12 year old why did it take you 10 years to come get us? Oh my heart!!! I do my best to explain it and I'm so thankful that he understands this is part of his story. It's not the good part but it can be used for good by God. To hold your 10 year old as she cries for her grandmother across the ocean. Gut wrenching, can't breathe sobs. All I can do is hold them,love them and pray over them that they will feel the love Jesus intends for them to feel in a family. There's so much in older child adoption. It differs from child to child and a lot depends on the institution or foster home they were part of. Peter and Elise's experiences are vastly different. Then you have the cultural differences; explaining it's ok to have more than one child, why we worship God not Buddha, why we don't hate the Japanese, why girls are not inferior to boys, and the list goes on and on. Trying to undo 10 years of a communist lifestyle isn't easy. But it's doable through Christ and only through Christ.

    How are the rest of us doing? Pretty good. There's hard times for all of us because life is a beautiful, broken mess. There tears, there's fights, there's moments when we want to run away but we muddle through the chaos that sin is and reach for the peace that He offers. It's overwhelming, this life we live. There's a song that has a chorus that says, "Whatever you're doing inside of me/it feels like chaos somehow there's peace/It's hard to surrender to what I can't see/but I'm giving into something heavenly" that describes exactly how I feel. I'm so very thankful to a husband who shares this life with me because he's the only other one who gets it, to friends who write encouraging letters, who do not expect anything from me, (this is huge!! I want to help but augh!!) And who are just there, family and friends who love us despite the fact were holed up in our home focusing on our family, the ones who listen and care. Thank you, thank you, thank you. This life is crazy but we wouldn't trade it. Now we would accept an all expenses paid cruise... oh wait. We just 'vacationed' in China. Ha!! Love you all!!
  • Amy Clark Whittle Thank you for sharing your story. I look forward to watching them grow and blossom.
  • Lu Zie She is a doll. When I saw her at Friday, it brought tear to my eyes to know she will forever have a family. This am I asked Peter how was litte sister, and he gave me a big smile and said: really good. Loved it.
  • Tracie Hatfield Beautifully stated Amiee!
  • Connie Hellmuth Thanks. That's the next best thing to sitting down and chatting with you over coffee. Hugs.
  • Eric N Aimee Connie, I told Eric on Friday night i wish you were here!!
  • Bobnvickie Neely Thankyou for sharing this experience Aimee, I have really enjoyed your post....God bless you all!!
  • Susan Staudt Peterson Thank you for sharing! I'm looking so forward to conquering the language barrier so we can really get to know Preston and his memories, his feelings, etc.

No comments: